Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Random thoughts

I wanted to just write some random things down, that I wanted to share, but didn't on their own merit a full blog.

1.  I went to the farmers market (Tower Grove again) on Saturday and encountered a delightful popsicle stand.  They have a number of odd flavors (Avocado for example).  I settled on a peach and jalapeno popsicle.  It was delightful.  It was fresh peach puree with no flavor really of jalapeno, just the heat.  I imagine they put a halved jalapeno in with the peach puree while it was being cooked to instill the flavor and then strained them out.

2.  I went to Riverbend (www.riverbendbar.com/) with my friend Lindsay for dinner last night.  If you have never been to Riverbend, it is this AMAZING creole restaurant in this odd little area on the south side of the brewery.  We shared three things since she had never been there.  The Doc Sewall Oysters-think oysters covered in garlic breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese baked in the oven, the Red Beans and Rice with smoked sausage (which they only have on Mon) and their Roast Beef Po-Boy, Dressed (this means with lettuce, tomato, mayo and pickles-but we got it sans the pickle) and swiss cheese.

The oysters were super yummy.  Not exactly a light appetizer and it is pretty decent portion, so if you aren't super hungry and want to eat a sandwich or entree, I would skip them.  The Red Beans and Rice never disappoint.  I do think they toned down the spice a bit as of late, which is sad, because they were yummy.  The Roast Beef Po-Boy, I could rub all over my body (if you don't know me very well, this means I love it).  It is super drippy, you need about 10 napkins, the bread is crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle, the beef is tender and the sauce is AMAZING.  Enough said.

3.  It is Tuesday-mission bratwurst accomplished.  I realize this photo makes the brat look somewhat phallic.  I am comfortable with that.  It is mighty tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment